Tuesday, August 21, 2012

What's in a name? Bakasura, Vaango & Graffitea



I am generally of the opinion that spending too much time on restaurant names and taglines does not make a difference. That's probably because I am not too creative and have strong belief that if something is successful, it will start sounding good - e.g. McDonald's, Saravana Bhavan, Subway etc. and Google, Cisco, Microsoft in the non-restaurant space.

But once in a while, I come across some names which makes me go "Why didn't I think of that?". A day ago, I saw a new restaurant just launched with a sign-board "Bakasur" with a nicely done logo. What a great name for a restaurant - especially if what they offer is a really big buffet all day, everyday (Those who have seen my previous posts know my keen interest in an all-day buffet place in India). When I mentioned this to a friend, he told me that this name was reflective of the evolution of the Indian consumer - a few years ago, no one would think of naming their business after a demon. But now being bad is cool.
A few other names I really like are "Vaango" - the South Indian brand of the Devyani group (which owns several franchisees of Pizza Hut, Costa Coffee, Svensens etc. in India).  "Vaango" in tamil literally means "Welcome". I also like the name for the quaint little Delhi cafe "Graffitea" - a great name for a cool cafe targeted at collee kids that has a huge graffiti wall and serves tea and snacks.
Maybe there is something to a Name.

6 comments:

  1. Hi we will start a restaurant veg non veg in chennai.so we want veg and non veg all cateogery staff.9985932513

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi we will start a restaurant veg non veg in chennai.so we want veg and non veg all cateogery staff.9985932513

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I am looking for Chef specialized in Gujarati food for vegetarian restaurant in Sharjah UAE if interested pls send email on bids145@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sir/Madam,
    We are urgently in need of kidney donors in (LS foundation center) to help patients who face lifetime dialysis problems unless they undergo kidney transplant. Here we offer financial rewards as a compensation to all interested donors. Please kindly contact us at: kidneyliverin@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete


  5. I had lost my wallet on one of my computer hard drives from 2019, I found the wallet over a year ago and had not been able to unlock it for over a year. I was amazed for three reasons:

    Firstly, Aileen recovered the wallet with a large value amount I would love to say out loud but for security will not.

    Secondly, I would never have trusted anyone much less a stranger with this amount of money but he was honest straight forward and totally trustworthy, with no games.

    Thirdly was how professional he was with quick timely information, updates, and security suggestions. You can get in touch with him: email address: aileenbeacker@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would strongly love to recommend the services of the best team of Jeanson James Ancheta wizard. They are professional and very discreet in carrying out their jobs, they have the best customer service agents and satisfaction at heart. If you have any services, kindly contact him via email:(jeansonjamesanchetawizard62@gmail.com) or on WhatsApp number: +44 (7440) 105166 or +44 (7506) 216101. and he also helps track and monitor your cheating partner's phone without being noticed, clear or erase criminal records, all social media hacks, funds recovery and many others.

    ReplyDelete