Wednesday, April 6, 2011
Restaurants offering a Single Product - Why I really like them?
I am a huge fan of restaurants which offer a single product - by this I don't mean just one item on the menu, but just one comprehensive and well designed product offering for the customer. I will give you a few examples of such offerings.
• Rajdhani (http://www.rajdhani.co.in/) - Gujarati/Rajasthani Thali
• Barbeque Nation (www.barbeque-nation.com) - Kababs on the table and an Indian buffet
• Maiyas/MTR (www.maiyas.in) - Traditional Karnataka Meal
• Buffets in Restaurants
Why do I like such offerings?
• There is exceptional clarity to the customers on how much they are going to spend at the restaurant and what exactly they will get at the restaurant. So if you have a good product offering, satisfying customers and generating repeat customers/referrals becomes easier.
• Typically with such offerings, it will be difficult for the customer to NOT feel satisfied at the end of the meal. Out of the various dishes, everyone will like a few items, you typically can get unlimited servings of the items you like and of course you always have a couple of dessert options that will please the customer even if everything else was not that great. If customers leave your restaurant satisfied, it is really good for your business.
• Operationally it makes things a lot easier (This is a big one if you run/manage a restaurant)
1) There is no confusion with order taking and fulfillment. In a typical restaurant, communicating the orders to the kitchen, prioritising the food preparation, assembling the food for a table and serving the right order to the right table is quite a process - during busy times, the kitchen area is literally like a warzone.
2) Since the food is prepared in advance (i.e. the cooks don't start preparing the dish once the customer places the order), the customer gets the food quickly. No one really likes waiting for food in a restaurant - that is why even in a lot of fine dining restaurants, you will notice that they will serve complementary bread/nibbles immediately after the customer gets seated at the table to keep them happy till their order arrives. This is particularly critical during busy times, when your kitchen will invariably delay orders and frustrate your customers.
3) Billing once a customer has finished the meal is easier - no need to track specific orders for a specific table. This minimizes possibilities of errors, wrong billing and scope for any hanky-panky by the cashier/restaurant staff.
4)Menu Planning and Cost Control: This is another big one for me.
* Since you don't have a fixed menu, managing and controlling your inventory of raw material becomes easy.
* Within your broad concept, your chef can play around with the specific menu options, make changes easily (based on customer feedback) and have more scope for innovating. Running Food festivals/thematic events is easier - e.g. Holi Special, Diwali Special etc.
* Also with the way raw material costs have fluctuated over the last few years, a good chef can quickly remove high cost offerings and replace them with alternatives. e.g. If the cost of Capsicum goes up signifcantly, the chef need not buy Capsicum for that particular period, and instead prepare a brinjal dish that is aligned with the overall concept.
Hopefully I have convinced a few of you about this theory of mine.
Business Tip: I think there is fantastic potential in India for an All-Day Buffet Restaurant - in the lines of Ryans (www.ryans.com), Old Country Buffet (www.oldcountrybuffet.com), Cici's Pizza (www.cicispizza.com) etc. in the US.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Very good article and informative too..ReplyDelete
isn't buffet a risky proposition?ReplyDelete
because to attract customers you have to price it 'right' (cheap). but then since all that food is up for grabs, people generally overeat? the reason so many desi restaurants lace food in buffets with soda ...
if the restaurant is offering biriyani, i dont think the customer would like to eat the kind of menu everyday.and also we cant provide the same kind of menu all the day like morning, afternoon, evening..ReplyDelete
this is just my opinion..
Thanks for sharing your views. but I think, serving single food is beneficial for restaurants not for customers as all the food items in table- d- hote menu (Thali) is not liked by everyone, and sometimes it becomes waste for customers.ReplyDelete
I am planning to open a fast food outlet [Only delivery] having key offerings as Pizza, Rolls and Sandwiches in Navi Mumbai. Could you guys please help me with estimated product costing and distribution model.
Please mail same @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Can anyone help me with any free cash register/POS systems for a small restaurant?ReplyDelete
Thanks for sharing your views.ReplyDelete
CIITN is the best SAP training and placement Institute in noida. Contestant will analyze in keeping with modern-day enterprise trends by way of certified and industry experts & SAP training Institute in Noida. They provide a 100% placement help with the best training of IT cousrses.ReplyDelete
If you are looking best sap training in Noida then you can join CIITN. One of the premier training and development institute for SAP Training Program in Noida. The company provides 6 weeks/ 6 Months Training for SAP. They provide training in all SAP Modules like SAP HANA,SAP B1, SAP FICO etc. Just come for free demo class and then join SAP and move up in your career .
SAP Training Institute in Noida
sap training in noida
sap institute in noida
sap course in noida
best sap training institute in noida
Utilizing the room Hotel Service trolley your staff can work rapidly without exasperating visitors. The Housekeeping trolley is accessible in different outlineReplyDelete
Thanks for the information you have provided in your article to find our favorite restaurant for the best Andhra food. Among these many restaurants provide food home delivery services. To order Andhra food online in Bangalore visit Order Food Online in Kammanahalli | Andhra Style Restaurant in BangaloreReplyDelete
Thanks for sharing such a wonderful information.....!!!!ReplyDelete
plug & play office space in Bangalore
commercial space for rent
Hi,this is really very nice blog.I have learned a lot of good and informative stuff from your blog.Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful post. Keep posting such valuable contents.ReplyDelete
We are also into the Digital Marketing space.
Please visit our website by clicking the links given below.
Best Digital Marketing Training Course in Kolkata
Best Digital Marketing Training Centre in Kolkata
Best Digital Marketing Training Center in Kolkata
Best Digital Marketing Training Institute in Kolkata
Best SEO/Search Engine Optimization Training Centre in Kolkata
Best SEO/Search Engine Optimization Training Center in Kolkata
Best SEO/Search Engine Optimization Training Course in Kolkata
Best SEO/Search Engine Optimization Training Institute in Kolkata
Best Digital Marketing SEO Internship in Kolkata
Best Digital Marketing SEO Agency in Kolkata
Best Digital Marketing SEO Jobs in Kolkata
Digital Marketing Course Fees in Kolkata
Digital Marketing Course Online in Kolkata
Digital Marketing Expert Abuzar Shah Qureshi in Kolkata
Digital Marketing Expert in Kolkata
Best Digital Marketing Company in Kolkata
Best SEO Company in Kolkata
Best SEO Services in Kolkata
Digital Marketing Jobs for Fresher in Kolkata
Best SEO Jobs for Fresher in Kolkata
Thanks for sharing your views.ReplyDelete
Best Restaurants in Madhapur
Help Save Lives!ReplyDelete
We are currently in need of kidney donors for urgent transplant, Please pledge to become a donor and encourage others to sign up for organ and tissue donation. We offer financial reward to interested donors. contact us via email: email@example.com